Sunday 5 August 2012

God Save The Dream

I spent much of yesterday evening and already an hour this morning dabbing my eyes at the joyful and deeply eloquent speechlessness of all of the GB Olympic athletes, rowers and cyclists who did so well yesterday. I am sure this is replicated in the other teams.

Such was the spirit between the heptathletes after Jessica Ennis crossed the final finishing line to win gold that I half expected them all to lift her up and chair her on a lap of honour.

In the end it's only sport, and in the big scheme of things sport is probably rather silly, but to see such distilled human joy amid this gentlest and most generous patriotism transcends that essential daftness, suggests that all is not indeed lost for humanity, and has me reaching for the hankies every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment